Japan - APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
"The only way to explain Japan is to tell you to go and visit it yourself. (...) For me Japan has been this trip where I learned a lot about myself as well as about Japan."
Lauren - 2012 Japan Travel Award winner.
Would you like to visit the land of the Rising Sun?
This exciting six-week programme is based in the beautiful region of Suwa which is located in the Japanese Alps about two hours to the south of Tokyo. During these weeks, you will live with a Japanese family, learn Japanese and go to a high school, while acting as an ambassador for Ireland, sharing Irish culture as you learn about that of Japan. The Award is fully funded by EIL and the Japan-Ireland Friendship Link.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Age profile: 16 (on 1st of June 2013) - 18 years of age
Travel Dates: End of June 2013 for 6 weeks.
- Return flights from Ireland to Japan
- Return transfers via Narita Airport
- Full board and accommodation with Japanese families
- Experience of attending a Japanese High School
- Visits to local schools to introduce Ireland
- 1 week of Japanese language classes
- 24 hour in country support by the Japan Ireland Friendship link.
How to apply
While you can apply for a number of awards, each entry needs to be specific to the country you wish to apply for i.e. you cannot use the same entry for more than one country.
(a) You need to request an application form and complete it;
(b) You also need to tell us:
- What you could bring to this experience?
- What you would hope to learn from it?
- How it can benefit your community upon your return?
Please answer these three questions equally. You can present your work by using any one of the following formats:
- An essay of not more than 700 words.
- A project format of not more than 8 A4 size pages combining pictures, clippings, art, drawings and writing in any combination you wish.
- A video not longer than 4 minutes and submitted on a CD, DVD or memory stick.
Please forward the completed application and your project in hard copy form to reach EIL by 6pm on Tuesay, 5th March 2013.
Top Tips from Past Award Winners:
- Your interest and fascination with Japan isn’t as important as your willingness and ability to represent Ireland while you’re over there. For example, this may include giving impromptu presentations and speeches about Ireland.
- Also think about how you would share your Irish culture with people who don't speak English.
- It’s worth thinking about what skills/talents you can share while in Japan as it is an award mostly focused on culture. Previous winners did a range of different things. For example some had great slide shows of Ireland, demonstrated hurling or Irish dancing, played a musical instrument, could sing, did Japanese martial arts, spoke a little Japanese, liked to draw or paint (obviously you don't need to be able to do all of these, but to be able to do one of them or something similar would be a help).
- It’s not a group award; you’ll be going to Japan by yourself so keep that in mind.
I'm Going on an Adventure!
Japan Withdrawl :(
And now the end is near...
Oh Buddha! I'm in amazement overload.
Just a little Ketchup (Sorry, couldn't help myself)
When I was a Young WartHog...
Arriving to Japanese Toilets!
Thunder, Lightening and Flip Flops!
Last few amazing weeks
Terms & Conditions
- Shortlisting may take place and interviews will take place pror to final selection
- Each successful applicant must complete all necessary supplementary application forms as required by EIL (including parental/guardian permissions if under 18)
- Selected applicants forfeit their Award should he/she not be able to fully participate on the programme on all the dates as specified and/or should they be found unfit to travel by a medical practictioner.
- Young people will need to demonstrate an appropriate level of maturity and responsibility in order to participante
- All the young applicants agree to accept the decision of the EIL adjudication panel as final.
- Entries must include a fully completed application form, a completed reference form by a responsible, non-family member and an essay/project/video. Interviews will be held in March 2013 and results will be announced in April 2013.
- Closing date for receipt of hard copy entries is 5th March 2013.*
*If you are submitting your hard copy application by post very close to the deadline (as in March 3rd or later) we require you to: Post original in any An Post letterbox/office up until Tuesday 5th March at 6pm and email a full scanned copy of the entry to firstname.lastname@example.org before 6pm on Tuesday 5th March so that we will receive your application in time.