Learn French in France
EIL Study Abroad offers several options for those interested in studying French in France:
- Montpellier - learn French and immerse yourself in the culture of the dynamic city of Montpellier. French language courses are available for mature students of all ages (Standard, Intensive, Intensive Plus, Super Intensive, and Summer Junior Courses).
- Cap d'Ail - teenagers, learn French in a safe and action-packed summer camp on the French Riveria! (Teenage French Summer Camp).
- Antibes - learn French by the beach on the French Riviera! Ideal for Transition Year students who want to study French for 2-5 weeks during term time. (Teenage Transition Year Camp offering Standard, Intensive and Leaving Certificate Preparation lessons).
- Rouen, Normandy - an interesting alternative location to immerse yourself in the French language and culture away from the tourist crowds. Suitable for students 18 and over. (Adult language programme providing Semi-Intensive, Intensive and French plus Cuisine/Gourmet courses).
Long term placements for Transition Year students are offered by our Secondary School Abroad programme, whereby students live with a French host family and attend a local secondary school with other French children from the area.
Please browse the different options below to find the programme that is right for you or your child.
- Ages: 14 - 17
- Location: Antibes/Juan-les-Pins, Cote d'Azure
- Arrival airport: Nice
- Accommodation: Host family or residential, shared
- Duration: Dates depending on session with a minimum stay of one week
- Availability: Easter through to late October
- Supervision: Suitable for teenagers; curfew with parental permission
- Ages: Mature 16 and up
- Location: South of France
- Arrival airports: Montpellier (no direct flights from Ireland), Carcassonne
- Accommodation: Host family or residential (for students 18 and over), single or shared
- Duration: 2 weeks and up
- Availability: Year round
- Supervision: Minimal, this is an adult course and students 16 and up are treated as such
- Ages: 18 and up
- Location: Northwestern France
- Arrival airports: Rouen (no direct flights from Ireland), Paris Charles de Gaulle, Paris Beauvais
- Accommodation: Host family, residence or hotel
- Duration: 1 week and up
- Availability: Year round
- Supervision: None, this is an adult course
Secondary School Abroad
SECONDARY SCHOOL IN FRANCE
Transition Year students above all others take part in this total-immersion programme to improve their French and intimately learn about French culture. With this programme, students live with a French host family and take part in their day-to-day activities while going to a local French Lycée (Secondary School). For students who want a long term programme (from 6 weeks to a full academic year) and are flexible about the location in France, this may be the option for you. This programme is open to Irish students between the ages of 15 and 18 who have studied French for a minimum of 3 years. The emphasis of this programme is on language learning through full immersion with native speakers. For this reason, each Irish applicant is placed in a different host community. Focusing on gaining independence and maturity, friends and family members will not be placed together or near one another. Irish students will have ample opportunity to make new friends in school and of course, practise their French! Our host communities are located throughout France, mainly in small towns and rural areas. If you want a truly authentic French experience and are open-minded to a placement anywhere in France, this programme is for you.
"I liked attending the Lycée because all the time I was meeting new people and being able to learn and speak French with my own age group." Louise, past participant